Saturday, August 19, 2006

Problems Posting HTML for QBTK Layout ...

I mentioned that I have a layout for my little QB Text Klondike game ...

I've been trying to arrive at an HTML version suitable for posting here.

The big problem seems to be in HTML coding to force a) a specific font, b) and/or mono-spaced font, c) arbitrary ASCII codes w/in that font.

Since I already have a QB experimental going, which includes a test layout, I thought that the simplest way would be to cut/paste that from the (command-line) QB display, into another program (say, MSFT Word) which would accept the "upper" ASCII for the box characters, AND the colors, then export back out to HTML ...

So far, so good. But THEN, the HTML result of that, would NOT display as expected in a browser: despite explicitly specifying my mono-spaced font of choice (LucindaConsole 16pt), it seems to display proportionally-spaced, NOT lined up correctly!

The only way that seems to "work", is to paste the layout (losing the colors) into Mozilla Composer, manually setting the colors, then extracting THAT HTML code. The resulting HTML file displays as expected in my Firefox, Mozilla, and IE5 browsers, but the code seems excessively dense and complicated, with all of the explicit ASCII characters specified, and specifications for colors, etc. Trying to simplify it, and/or break it up into smaller chunks, breaks the line-breaks mostly. Apparently, there are some contexts within HTML where "implicit" line-breaks (in the "code") translate to "rendered" breaks, and some contexts where they do NOT (and require explicit "br" tags). I guess I don't know enough about HTML coding yet to understand.

However, so far, I haven't been able to get THAT HTML to display as expected when pasted into a new post here on BlogSpot. Of course, the first thing is to remove some of the HTML tags that are explicitly not allowed, like "html", or "head".

I'll keep at it if/when I feel like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home